Preamble: This Code of Ethics is written to encourage a way of living and being with each other. We are building a peaceful, co-operative women's community based on shared and individual responsibility. All women can be considered members of the Upper Hutt Women's Centre.
The Code of Ethics affirms equality, and makes no distinction between women with varying degrees of involvement in the Women's Centre. The use of "I" and "other" in what follows reflects this.
- Whilst retaining basic rights and freedom as an individual, I have a responsibility to work towards an understand of myself and to maintain integrity, honesty and self-discipline in may personal behaviour.
- I have the right to be treated with respect therefore I have the responsibility to demonstrate respect for others.
- I have the right to be treated with consideration therefore I have the responsibility to be considerate to others and to protect myself.
- I have the right to be hears and therefore I have the responsibility to speak and to listen to others.
- I have the right to live up to my own values, opinions and beliefs, and therefore, I have the responsibility not to impose them on others.
- I realise my every action and inaction has the potential to affect others. Therefore I have a responsibility to be mindful of the influence I have on others, and to use that influence wisely.
- I have the right for my contributions to the Women's Centre to be respected and valued, therefore I am responsible for valuing the contributions of others.
- To enable my contribution to the Women's Centre to be respected and valued, I am responsible for making and acting on my decisions, and also to be responsible for the consequences if I do not.
- I will respect the sensitivity of others personal information.
- I am responsible for letting people know when I need confidentiality, and you are responsible for letting me know when you need confidentiality.
- If I believe that people are at risk of serious harm, I may choose not to keep confidentiality.